R&D project XL monopiles
KCI has investigated the effects of applying monopiles in larger water depths and with bigger wind turbines.
KCI developed in-house routines to quickly assess the feasibility of any combination of water depth and wind turbine to optimize the monopiles (e.g. weights and wall thickness) for each and every monopile location.
Additional activities performed:
- KCI performed analyses in association with Cathie Associates on the applicability of p-y and t-z curves on XL monopiles in various types of soil
- First setup of load iteration with MVOW for V164 by exchanging stiffness matrices.
- Prepared parametric drawing for primary steel
- Designed typical secondary steel for XL-monopiles
- Reviewed the general effects of soil properties on XL-monopiles
- Assess current available designs for transition pieces in the market.
Phase of Development
R&D, Concept design
Year of Project
2014 - 2015